Organic Chocolate Cake: Yields 2 – 9” layers of cake (creams, fillings not included)
What you need – we recommend organic ingredients. Use what you have available.
Organic brazil nut (or other plant) milk – 1 cup (224 g)
Organic apple sauce – 1 cup (226 g)
Organic extra-virgin cold-pressed olive oil – 1/3 cup (57 g)
Organic apple cider vinegar – 2 tsp (6.6 g)
Vanilla extract – ½ tsp (2 g)
Spring/Filtered water (for flax egg) – 1/3 cup (75g)
- Separately prepare the flax egg in a small bowl by mixing ground flax + water into a slurry. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Melt chocolate chips on a double-boiler at low-medium heat. (Or microwave 20 seconds at a time until melted. Do not burn chocolate!)
- Mix wet ingredients together.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Add in flax egg.
- Evenly divide batter into 2, oiled 9” cake pans, smooth tops.
- Bake in 9” pans at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 18 minutes. (If you decide to turn this into a 3-layer cake, bake for less time. If you’d like to bake these into cupcake liners, bake for about the same time until the batter rises.)
- Decorate with your choice of creams and fillings (not included).
Organic Chocolate Cake Mix
Organic almond flour, organic house-milled oat flour, organic coconut sugar, organic cocoa powder, sea salt, baking soda, organic coconut-sweetened chocolate chips (organic unsweetened chocolate, organic palm sugar, organic coconut butter)